Sunday, June 7, 2009

Dr. Fish and Baseball

This weekend was quite eventful, but also very relaxed. On Saturday, I met up with Sarah and some of her co-workers in Myeongdong (the ultra hip shopping area of Seoul) and tried to find something to wear for my upcoming birthday bash. After an unsuccessful venture, we met back up with her co-workers for a little lunch and then headed to a Dr. Fish Cafe. I've been to Dr. Fish before and this time was great, but not quite as thrilling as the first trip. Still, it was a lot of fun and I really needed some sort of attention to my feet. I love wearing sandals, but they do a number on my feet. The week before Thailand will be major pedicure time! Anyway, after Dr. Fish I headed to On the Border to have dinner with Ashley and Dani. I had a birthday coupon for some free queso so it made our weekly trip a bit different and a whole lot tastier!

Saturday I met up with Sarah again and we went to TechnoMart so she could buy a camera. After a successful hunt, we headed to Jamsil Sports Complex to see the Doosan Bears take on the Lotte Giants. The game was pretty good and the Giants won 1-0. It is so interesting to attend a baseball game in Korea because while it is similar to home, it is also very different. My favorite part is the cheering. Each team has their own cheers and each player also has some form of a cheer. It's really fun and I found myself rooting for the Giants tonight. We also witnessed a proposal, she said "yes" and a portion of the 6th inning stretch (yes, I wrote that correctly) was dedicated to panning to couples in the audience and telling them to kiss on the big screen. After successful runs of male/female couples, the videographer decided to see if two males would kiss. Korea is a rather homophobic society so this was something quite extraordinary. Not only did these males kiss, they kissed twice! I'm sure they were just friends, but it sure stirred up the audience...with cheers nonetheless. Hooray for Koreans at baseball games!

2 comments:

Kali said...

Oh my goodness. Korea cracks me up! :)

Living Skills Blog said...

Sounds interesting! Is there a Doctor Fish in Myeongdong area or did you go else where for it? I'm asking cos' I will be staying in Myeongdong and wants to try octor Fish! Please help. Thanks!